Sunday, January 13, 2013

Rememberin' the Raisin'

I was incredibly blessed to get to spend my birthday weekend with my parents. To say that I enjoyed it would be an understatement- there truly is nothing like going home. I could write multiple postings about how much I learned in just that one weekend, but for now, I want to focus on just one thing...

I learned a new respect for my parents and the way they raised my brothers and me.

Yes, that is a blanket statement, but what I mean is I truly respect how they sacrificed to raise 5 children. Especially now that I have two children, when we watched old family movies I saw things from a new perspective.  Instead of waiting for the funny parts or laughing at the clothing styles, I noticed conversations, and how chaotic a house of 7 was, but ultimately I noticed my parents. Everything they did, and still do, was for us, and that is EXACTLY how I want to raise my boys.

Prepare for a bold statement: I don't believe a child can truly appreciate a parent to the fullest until, that said child has children of their own. Loving and appreciating my parents has always been easy for me, but it is now that I better understand ALL of their sacrifice and love for my family.

My birthday weekend with my parents has enabled me to remember the way I was raised with a new found parenting perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment