Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Drawing Girls 101

Just a quick funny story to share about the joys of raising boys. 
It never occured to me that I needed to teach my son how to draw. I must admit that he has never really been interested in drawing and coloring. However, with more and more Pre-K projects, I realized he needed some pointers.
As a teacher, I decided to  asses his understanding of the stories we read by having him draw a picture that explained the story. Our first story using the 'drawing method' was the Biblical story of Joseph and Mary. Of course, Caleb drew two stick figures, one obviously shorter than the other, but other than the height factor they looked the same. When I question who was Mary and who was Joseph he pointed to the coordinating character with pride.  It was then that I figured it was a good time to discuss the difference between the ways boys and girls look.
As a mom that has been surrounded by boys my whole life, I wanted Caleb to understand that girls have a beauty about them that can be physical. I discussed that girls can have long eyelashes, beautiful lips, and the crowning glory- lushes locks of hair. So I drew simple stick figures and illustrated the lips, eyes, and possible hairstyles and asked Caleb to draw hair on one of the stick figures. The results are below...


I think it goes without saying that Caleb's 'woman' is the one pictured on the top right. Instead of feeling like I let down my fellow women in my lack proper instruction to my son, I looked at the picture and started laughing. Beginning at the age of 4, males don't pay attention to what we girls think is important (at least physically). I foresee Caleb growing up, getting married, and not properly answering his wive's questions: Do you like my hair? Do I look fat in this dress? Oh yes, I have already started praying for his future wife. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment